Portion of iron mail-armour composed of iron links, now rusted together in folds, riveted with copper pins in alternate rows. Appears to form a coat of mail of three-quarter length.
- early 7thC
- Excavated/Findspot: Sutton Hoo, Ship-burial Mound: 1
- (Europe,United Kingdom,England,Suffolk,Sutton (parish),Sutton Hoo)
- Length: 45.8 centimetres
- Height: 7.9 centimetres
- Thickness: 1.5 centimetres (min)
- Thickness: 10.5 centimetres (max)
- Weight: 11.23 grammes (in present condition)
- Length: 60 centimetres (max, of mass)
- Width: 30 centimetres (max, of mass)
On display: G41/dc1/sD
1980 10 Mar-30 Sep, Sweden, Stockholm, Statens Historika Museum, The Vikings are Here
Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- 1939,10-10,22 (former number)
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: MCS16211
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.