What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site


Collection online

Additional options
Production date to

Or search by



  • Object type

  • Museum number


  • Description

    Copper alloy fragment from rim of shield 1939,1010.94; curved into a U-shape.

  • Culture/period

  • Date

    • early 7thC
  • Findspot

  • Materials

  • Dimensions

    • Length: 5.6 centimetres
  • Conservation

    See treatments 

    Treatment date

    13 October 2005

    Treatment proposal

    Clean, consolidate, repair & repack as necessary.


    The gilded surface of the cu alloy rim is covered with copper carbonate corrosion layer. It was previously repaired. Duygu Cleere

    A second strip from the shield rim also numbered H1: 9Green stickers 67 and 68)

    Note with object says it is impreganated with Benzotriazole.

    The binding was broken into three parts, old repairs had broken down . Fleur Shearman.

    Treatment details

    The corrosion layer was removed by undertaking mechanical cleaning with a scalpel. The gilt surface was consolidated by using 5%Paraloid B72 (ethyl methacrylate copolymer) in Acetone/ Industrial methylated spirits (ethanol,methanol) (propan-1-one/dimethyl ketone) 50:50. The failed old joints were reattached by using HMG heatproof and waterproof adhesive (cellulose nitrate). The object was packed in a crystal box with a plastazote cut out. Duygu Cleere

    Second fragment of binding labelled H1:

    Old adhesive removed with acetone on brush. Whole consolidated using 2.5% Paraloid B72, ethyl methacrylate copolymer, in acetone, repeated applications applied with a brush.

    Fragments repaired with Paraloid B72, ethyl methacrylate copolymer adhesive.Repacked in plastic box lined with polyethylene foam.

    About these records 

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date


  • Acquisition notes

    Excavated 1939

  • Department

    Britain, Europe and Prehistory

  • Registration number


There is no image of this object, or there may be copyright restrictions

Image service:

Request new photography



If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: MCS16915

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 


Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help