Salt-cellars, jasper ware, with polished inner surface, the outer surface decorated with applied moulded reliefs of the 'Dancing Hours'; applied guilloche-pattern ornament around the base and near the rim. Marked.
- 1780-1790 (circa)
- Factory in: Etruria
- (Europe,United Kingdom,England,Staffordshire,Stoke-on-Trent,Etruria (England))
- Height: 2.2 inches
- Diameter: 3.4 inches
Inscription Typemaker's mark
Inscription ContentWEDGWOOD S 3
This pair of drum-shaped salt cellars of solid blue jasper have a polished interior surface. This technique and the impressed mark suggest that they were manufactured in the last decade of Josiah Wedgwood's life. However, the reliefs which ornament the cellars were modelled considerably earlier and are the best-known of all John Flaxman jun.'s works for Wedgwood. The subject, known as the 'Dancing Hours', was probably taken from de Mont-faucon's 'L'Antiquité Expliquée' a copy of which Josiah owned in 1770, and comes originally from a late Greek relief of the first or second century BC formerly in the Villa Borghese, Rome, and now in the Louvre, Paris. The first reference to the subject in Wedgwood's correspondence occurs in an undated letter from him to Bentley of September 1776 (E.25-18696) on the subject of 'Bass relief Vases' in which he mentions a drawing 'you sent for plain Vases to paint, which we find likewise very suitable for Bass reliefs particularly for the Dancing Hours'. By April 1778 it is clear that he had used the figures for a 'tablet' or plaque intended for a chimneypiece. It was subsequently used to ornament an extremely wide variety of pieces made at the Wedgwood factory. The salt cellars were evidently considered an admirable example of the potter's art well over 100 years ago as one has on the base a printed label from the National Exhibition of Works of Art held in Leeds in 1868.
Britain, Europe and Prehistory
Pair of blue and white jasper ware salt-cellars with polished inner surface; exterior surface decorated with applied reliefs of the 'Dancing Hours'.
Reproduced by permission of the artist. © The Trustees of the British Museum
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: MCT3168
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.