teapot / tea-set / sugar-bowl / milk-jug
Unglazed red stoneware milk jug, sugar bowl with cover and teapot with cover, each glazed inside (lids unglazed inside), part of a tea set; mounted in silver, marked and hallmarked .
- 1840-1845 (circa)
- Height: 14.5 centimetres (Teapot (with cover, to top of finial))
- Width: 17.4 centimetres (Teapot (incl. spout and handle))
- Height: 8.4 centimetres (Sugar bowl (with cover, to top of finial))
- Height: 6.8 centimetres (Sugar bowl (without cover))
- Width: 13.8 centimetres (Sugar bowl (incl. handles))
- Height: 12 centimetres (Milk jug)
- Width: 10.7 centimetres (Milk jug (incl. spout and handle))
Inscription Typemaker's mark
Inscription Positionbase of milk jug
Inscription Positionmounts on teapot and milk jug
Inscription ContentLondon hallmark for 1839-40 and maker's mark IF probably for John Figg
Inscription Positionmount on sugar bowl
Inscription ContentLondon hallmark for 1843 and maker's mark WC possibly for William Cooper
Inscription CommentCooper is listed by Grimwade 1990, no. 3074 as a plateworker who entered hisk in 1833
Inscription Typemaker's mark
Inscription Positionsugar bowl
Inscription ContentWEDGWOOD ETRURIA
Inscription Commentimpressed; probably also on teapot but hidden by an inscribed paper label
This tea-set, consisting of a teapot and cover, a sugar bowl and cover and a milk jug, dates from the late 1840s. Although red ware used for a new range in 1859 has been called 'little better than "kitchen ware" ', the silver mounts and the historic associations attached to these pieces make them worthy of more than just passing attention. The mounts are in the Revived Rococo style of the 1840s, characterised by the curves and love of asymmetry associated with the 1750s and 60s. The two covers have carefully worked silver rosebud finials. The pieces have long been associated with Queen Adelaide (1792-1849), the wife of William IV. In 1856, not long after the Queen's death, they belonged to Isaac Falcke, and were exhibited by him at the Crystal Palace Exhibition. They were mentioned in 'The Art Journal' for that year as amongst the "conspicuous objects exhibited in the Ceramic Court", and their former royal ownership was alluded to. However, at the time of writing no trace has been found of this terracotta tea-service in the Royal Archive at Windsor.
The mounts are saw-pierced, rivetted on and drilled through the body of each piece. The stoneware knops have been removed and replaced with chased silver knops, which may be stock items. The hallmarks have been stamped on over the chasing. All are immediately visible.
Another piece with silver mounts was recorded in the Shulman Collection, USA (present whereabouts and details unknown).
For a red ware flagon and stand with silver-plated mounts by W.G. Sissons of Chester, see M. Batkin, 'Wedgwood Ceramics' 1846-1959, 1982, p. 26, pl. 25. In fact Sissons is not listed as a Chester silversmith, but the large firm of W,G, Sisssons was operating in London (see Culme 1987, p.419)
2015-2016 May-May, HOTW, tbc. PROMISED
2014-2015 Dec-Mar, HOTW, tbc. PROMISED
2014 Mar-Jun, HOTW, tbc. PROMISED
Prehistory and Europe
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: MCT3330
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.