Four earthenware sandwich tiles, thick section red between buff inlaid with brown and white, with a clear glaze over all, the buff glazed to yellow, and the red glazed to brown; forming a repeat pattern of stylised foliate ornament in a pointed quatrefoil with rosettes in circles at the corners. Maker's mark on reverse.
- Factory in: Lugwardine
- (Europe,United Kingdom,England,Herefordshire,Lugwardine)
- Length: 15 centimetres
- Width: 15 centimetres
Inscription Typemaker's mark
Inscription ContentW. GODWIN / LUGWARDINE / HEREFORD
Inscription CommentStamped on reverse with a grid pattern of holes.
The white clay has fired in lower relief than the other clays.
1 January 1900
Clean, fill corner and small chips, remount.
Tiles Steam cleaned using distilled water; run off dirt and water absorbed into soft tissue. Backs of tiles consolidated with 20% Paraloid B72 (ethyl methacrylate copolymer)in 50/50 Acetone (propan-1-one/dimethyl ketone)/Industrial methylated spirits (ethanol,methanol).Broken corner and chips on Tile-1980,0307.65D filled with FEW surface filler (polyester) and coloured with artists fine ground pigments in medium of Rustin's white polish (bleached shellac,ethanol,methanol). Tiles mounted on 6mm alluminium sheet with Araldite 2005 two part epoxy resin.
Prehistory and Europe
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: MCT3338
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.