What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site

 

Collection online

Additional options
Production date to

Or search by

Searching...

painting / handscroll

  • Object type

  • Museum number

    1881,1210,0.2633

  • Description

    Painting, handscroll. Part of the seven calamities showing earthquake, and village with people running in panic. Ink and colours on silk.

  • Producer name

  • Date

    • 1800-1880
  • Production place

  • Materials

  • Technique

  • Dimensions

    • Height: 33.6 centimetres
    • Width: 105.2 centimetres
  • Curator's comments

    In set with 1881,1210,0.2631-2632, 0.2634-2637
    Index card attributes to Utsumi Motonori (1812-87), and says the set of 'Seven Happinesses and Seven Misfortunes' were completed by Maruyama Okyo in 1768 for the Eman-in temple, Otsu. Many artists copied this pioneer work of dynamic naturalism.'2631 to 2637. Copies (of inferior quality) from a famous set of drawings by O-kio.'
    'The 1733 date is P. Emanin's. Ōkō (Motonori) lived 1812-1887.' (unattributed annotation in the specially interleaved Japanese Study Room copy of Anderson 1886)

    More 

  • Conservation

    See treatments 

    Treatment date

    31 October 1995

    Treatment proposal

    mount as handscrolls

    Treatment details

    The painting having been previously lined see EJL. The mounting silks were lined using a mulberry paper of suitable weight of the Mino type. The paper is adhered using a fresh wheat starch paste, and left to dry on felt. The various silks were then balanced for flexibility by adding more layers of Misu paper, and adhered using a dilute aged paste, the paper/s was secured using a pounding brush (UCHIBAKE). When each part of the mount including the painting were matched in flexibility they were lightly moistened using water and flattened on the drying board. After one week the silks and painting were removed. The silks were trimmed and the mount was assembled using wheat starch paste. The cut edges of silk being first sealed with paste. Joints were hammered to secure. The edges of the scroll were cut and turned in, the seam being adhered using thick aged paste and hammered to secure. A water torn strip of paper was then added to the edge prior to the mount being lined using Misu paper and dilute aged paste. The scroll was left to dry overnight before being moistened with water and flattened on a drying board. The scroll was left for two weeks. The last backing was applied using Uda paper and adhered using Uchibake / aged paste. The silk cover was also attached using aged paste. Two silk strenghening strips were applied using aged paste to the roller line on the bottom pocket. The scroll was allowed to dry overnight before being moistened with water and flattened on a drying board. The scroll was left for two weeks, face out. Joints were checked before the scroll was removed from the drying board, burnished on the verso using glass beads and Ibota wax. The scroll was the re-attached to the drying board using a little moisture and wheat starch paste. The scroll was left for six months. On removal the paper edges were trimmed off and the roller and stave attached using strong wheat starch paste. Kan were nailed onto the top stave and the hanging braid knotted on.mum of 25% Blanose 7MC (sodium carboxy methyl cellulose) in distilled water applied to underside of loose bandage on a metal spatula. Gentle finger pressure then applied to effect adhesion.

    About these records 

  • Subjects

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date

    1881

  • Acquisition notes

    The collection of over 2,000 Japanese and Chinese paintings assembled by Prof. William Anderson during his residency in Japan, 1873-1880, was acquired by the Museum in 1881. The items were not listed in the register, but rather were published separately as the 'Descriptive and Historical Catalogue of a Collection of Japanese and Chinese Paintings in the British Museum' (Longmans & Co, 1886).

  • Department

    Asia

  • Registration number

    1881,1210,0.2633

  • Additional IDs

    • Jap.Ptg.2396 (Japanese Painting Number)

Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: JCF2165

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 

Supporters

Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help  

Loading...