Commemorative medal; bronze; obverse: half-figure of Admiral Vernon; legend; reverse: fleet of ships with town in background; legend.
- 1739 (circa)
- Diameter: 1.02 inches
Inscription ContentWITH . SIX . SHIPS . ONLY . NOV 22 1739
Inscription ContentADMIRAL . VARNON . TOOK . PORTO . BELL .
See also 1887,0307.G.30 See also 1887,0307.G.30 Associated dates : 1740.
Not on display
- Topographic representation of: Portobelo
- (Americas,Central America,Panama,Colón (Panama),Portobelo)
- Commemoration of: Capture of Portobelo
- Associated Event: War of Jenkins' Ear
- Associated Event: War of the Austrian Succession
Coins & Medals
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: MCT7869
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.