- Previous 0/16015
Amygdaloid handle from a pottery transport amphora. Clay near coarse micaceous red-brown; mixed inclusions. Rectangular stamp at top of handle with Greek inscription and prow symbol.
- 325BC-275BC (circa)
- Made in: Knidos (?)
- (Asia,Turkey,Aegean Region (Turkey),Caria,Knidos)
- Found/Acquired: Naukratis (?)
- (Africa,Egypt,Lower Egypt,Nile Delta,Naukratis)
- Height: 7.1 centimetres (Max preserved)
- Height: 4.3 centimetres (Handle)
- Width: 2.6 centimetres (Handle)
- Height: 2.1 centimetres (Stamp plus)
- Width: 1.8 centimetres (Stamp plus)
Inscription Typecontrol mark
Inscription Positiontop of handle
Inscription Translationof (Th)eukles
Inscription CommentRectangular stamp. A slight trace of the initial letter is preserved.
Petrie diary, 1884-1885 (EES Archive XVII 47), p.27a, 17?
Not on display
Previously unregistered. Excavated 1884-1885
Greek & Roman Antiquities
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: GAA72127
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.