- Previous 0/16426
Fragment of oval handle from a probably Knidian pottery transport amphora. Clay fine red-brown; no mica. Rectangular stamp at top of handle with Greek inscription and prow symbol.
- 325BC-275BC (circa)
- Made in: Knidos (?)
- (Asia,Turkey,Aegean Region (Turkey),Caria,Knidos)
- Found/Acquired: Naukratis (?)
- (Africa,Egypt,Lower Egypt,Nile Delta,Naukratis)
- Height: 7.6 centimetres (Max preserved)
- Height: 4.3 centimetres (Handle)
- Height: 2.4 millimetres (Handle)
- Width: 2.1 millimetres (Stamp)
- Width: 2.1 centimetres (Stamp)
Inscription Typecontrol mark
Inscription Positiontop of handle
Inscription Translationof Philiskos
Inscription CommentRectangular stamp. Prow symbol. Lunate sigma.
Not on display
Greek & Roman Antiquities
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: GAA72129
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.