- Previous 0/16426
Fragment of neck and amygdaloid handle with a gradual curve from a Knidian pottery transport amphora. Clay medium orange-brown with grey core; mixed inclusions.. Rectangular stamp at top of handle with Greek inscription and perhaps prow symbol.
- Made in: Knidos
- (Asia,Turkey,Aegean Region (Turkey),Caria,Knidos)
- Found/Acquired: Naukratis
- (Africa,Egypt,Lower Egypt,Nile Delta,Naukratis)
- KT396 (Virginia Grace's unpublished K(nidian) T(ype) series)
- Height: 11.7 centimetres (Max preserved)
- Height: 4 centimetres (Handle)
- Width: 2.3 centimetres (Handle)
- Width: 4.7 centimetres (Stamp)
- Height: 2 centimetres (Stamp)
Inscription Typecontrol mark
Inscription Positiontop of handle
Inscription Contentεπ̣ι̣ Σ̣ωσιφρονος̣| Κνιδιον| Διοδοτο[
Inscription Translationin the term of Sosiphron; of the Knidians; Diodotos
Inscription CommentRectangular stamp. Prow symbol?
Names, Sosiphron and Diodotos.
Not on display
Greek & Roman Antiquities
Neck and amygdaloid handle with a gradual curve from a transport amphora. Clay medium orange-brown with grey core; mixed inclusions.. Rectangular stamp at top of handle with Greek inscription and prow? symbol.
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: GAA72133
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.