transport amphora / handle
Double handle, one barrel only preserved from a transport amphora. Clay near fine very micaceous grey-brown. Rectangular stamp at top of handle with Greek inscription and grapes? symbol.
- Made in: Kos
- Found/Acquired: Naukratis
- (Africa,Egypt,Lower Egypt,Nile Delta,Naukratis)
- 5 (in Grace/Savvatianou-Petropoulaki's unpublished catalogue, pl. 1)
- Height: 7.6 centimetres (Max preserved)
- Width: 2.3 centimetres (Handle)
- Width: 2.7 millimetres (Stamp)
- Height: 0.7 millimetres (Stamp)
Inscription Typecontrol mark
Inscription Positiontop of handle
Inscription CommentRectangular stamp. Grapes? symbol. Unclear whether complete aft.
Unpublished parallel in Athenian Agora
Greek & Roman Antiquities
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: GAA72158
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.