- Previous 0/16322
Flattened handle from a pottery transport amphora. Clay medium buff-brown. Rectangular stamp at top of handle with Greek inscription and prow symbol.
- 325BC-275BC (circa)
- Made in: Knidos (?)
- (Asia,Turkey,Aegean Region (Turkey),Caria,Knidos)
- Found/Acquired: Naukratis
- (Africa,Egypt,Lower Egypt,Nile Delta,Naukratis)
- Height: 5.6 centimetres (Max preserved)
- Height: 4.9 centimetres (Handle)
- Width: 2.3 millimetres (Handle)
- Width: 2 millimetres (Stamp plus)
- Height: 1.8 millimetres (Stamp)
Inscription Typecontrol mark
Inscription Positiontop of handle
Inscription CommentRectangular stamp. Prow symbol.
Petrie diary, 1884-1885 (EES Archive XVII 47), p. 25, 4?
Not on display
Previously unregistered. Excavated 1884-1885
Greek & Roman Antiquities
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: GAA72255
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.