What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site

 

Collection online

Additional options
Production date to

Or search by

Searching...

jug

  • Object type

  • Museum number

    1921,1215.67.CR

  • Description

    Jug; soft-paste porcelain; thrown; of bellied form, turned foot, scroll handle with mould line visible in centre and 'kick'; painted in monochrome lilac with harbour scene with church and other buildings on the shore, enclosed by rococo scroll, and with another shipping scene; in between these is coloured coat-of-arms of Chalmers, for Rev Alexander Chalmers: argent a demi lion rampant issuing from a fess gules and in base a fleur-de-lis gules with crest eagle rising proper, and motto; beneath handle is black and green device of goose on pole with leaf in bill and inscription and date; rim painted with pale mauve and blue scroll pattern, handle with a few orange dots and dashes; unmarked.

    More 

  • Producer name

  • School/style

  • Date

    • 1759
  • Production place

  • Materials

  • Technique

  • Dimensions

    • Height: 8.5 centimetres
  • Inscriptions

      • Inscription Type

        inscription
      • Inscription Position

        body, below handle
      • Inscription Content

        A+C 1759
      • Inscription Type

        inscription
      • Inscription Position

        arms
      • Inscription Content

        Spiro
      • Inscription Comment

        motto
  • Curator's comments

    The painting on this jug was attributed to James Rogers by Tait, 1962.Dawson 1987
    The jug is thought to have been ordered for the Reverend Alexander Chalmers, Minister of Cairnie, Aberdeenshire, who became Chaplain to the 88th Regiment of Foot in 1759.

    There are four pieces of armorial Worcester porcelain by James Rogers in the Museum collection.

    More 

  • Bibliography

    • Dawson 1987 50 bibliographic details
    • Spero 1984 App.B p.184 bibliographic details
    • Hobson 1923 no. 386, pl. 82 bibliographic details
    • Tait 1962c p. 232, fig. 17 bibliographic details
    • Hobson 1910 p. 82, pl. C, fig. 1 bibliographic details
    • Marshall 1954 Part II, pl. 47, no. 957 bibliographic details
    • Barrett 1966a pl. 24; pp. 17-8 bibliographic details
    • Honey, rev.Barrett, 1979 pl.93A bibliographic details
    • Marshall 1946 pp.190-1 bibliographic details
    • Dawson 2007 pp.74-6, no.24 bibliographic details
  • Location

    G46/dc21

  • Exhibition history

    Exhibited:

    1987 Jun 10-Jun 15, London, International Ceramics Fair and Seminar Ltd, 'International Ceramics Fair and Seminar'

    1978, London, British Museum, 'British Heraldry', cat. compiled by R. Marks and A. Payne, cat. 163

  • Subjects

  • Associated names

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date

    1921

  • Department

    Britain, Europe and Prehistory

  • Registration number

    1921,1215.67.CR

Jug; soft-paste porcelain; long pear-shaped, turned foot, scroll handle with moulded line in centre and kick; painted in monochrome lilac with harbour scene with church and other buildings on the shore, enclosed by rococo scroll, and with another shipping scene; in between these is coloured coat-of-arms of Chalmers, for Rev Alexander Chalmers: argent a demi lion rampant issuing from a fess gules and in base a fleur-de-lis gules with crest eagle rising proper, and motto; beneath handle is black and green device of goose on pole with leaf in bill and inscription and date; rim painted with pale mauve and blue scroll pattern, handle with a few orange dots and dashes; unmarked.

Jug; soft-paste porcelain; long pear-shaped, turned foot, scroll handle with moulded line in centre and kick; painted in monochrome lilac with harbour scene with church and other buildings on the shore, enclosed by rococo scroll, and with another shipping scene; in between these is coloured coat-of-arms of Chalmers, for Rev Alexander Chalmers: argent a demi lion rampant issuing from a fess gules and in base a fleur-de-lis gules with crest eagle rising proper, and motto; beneath handle is black and green device of goose on pole with leaf in bill and inscription and date; rim painted with pale mauve and blue scroll pattern, handle with a few orange dots and dashes; unmarked.

Image description

Recommend


Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: MCT12823

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 

Supporters

Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help  

Loading...