What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site

 

Collection online

Additional options
Production date to

Or search by

Searching...

printing-matrix

  • Object type

  • Museum number

    2000,0723.9

  • Description

    A man in a feathered hat with a sword
    Woodblock, cut for printing

  • Producer name

  • School/style

  • Date

    • 1600-1650
  • Materials

  • Technique

  • Dimensions

    • Height: 59 millimetres
    • Width: 89 millimetres
  • Inscriptions

      • Inscription Content

        Old label on verso inscribed in ink: "Very early cut of a gallant. 1600. Mr White's collection"
  • Curator's comments

    See 2000-7-23-10 for the group of blocks of which this is one. It was printed as no. 50 in E Charnley, "Specimens of Early Wood Engraving being Impressions from the Collection of Mr Charnley", Newcastle 1858.

  • Location

    c.205

  • Conservation

    See treatments 

    Treatment date

    20 May 2008

    Treatment proposal

    Repair- reattach wood sides. Secure loose paper in underside.

    Condition

    Loose dust adhering to surface. The sides have become detached from the object and the top side appears to have become warped.

    The iron rivets/nails holding the sides in place have corroded. On the base of the block the acid from the corrosion has caused the paper label to decay. The corrosion does not appear to be active.

    The paper label on the back of the block is coming away from the wood in places. It is stained and damaged in places.

    Wood worm damage is evident on the left side of the block although there is no frass present so it appears to be old.

    Treatment details

    Dusted lightly with a soft brush to remove loose dust. The cracks in the wood were consolidated with 2.5% Paraloid B72 (ethyl methacrylate copolymer) in 50/50 Industrial methylated spirits (ethanol,methanol) and Acetone (propan-1-one/dimethyl ketone) applied with a thin brush.

    The sides were cleaned with cotton swabs of Industrial methylated spirits (ethanol,methanol) and the sides were adhered using 20% Paraloid B72 (ethyl methacrylate copolymer) in 50/50 Industrial methylated spirits (ethanol,methanol) and Acetone (propan-1-one/dimethyl ketone) applied with a brush. The sides were held in place using small sand bags during setting time. any excess Paraloid B72 (ethyl methacrylate copolymer) was removed with cotton swabs of Acetone (propan-1-one/dimethyl ketone).

    About these records 

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date

    2000

  • Department

    Prints & Drawings

  • Registration number

    2000,0723.9


Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: PPA13801

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 

Supporters

Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help  

Loading...