Solid red earthenware body tile inlaid with buff and yellow glaze on the buff only. The tile depicts the figure of Edward the Confessor handing a ring to another figure. A floriated design is situated between the two figures. Possible factory date code on reverse.
- Factory in: Stoke-on-Trent
- (Europe,British Isles,England,Staffordshire,Stoke-on-Trent)
- Length: 15 centimetres
- Width: 15 centimetres
Inscription CommentMinton & Co. Date code for 1861 hand-painted in yellow slip.
The design is based on that of medieval tiles from Westminster Abbey Chapter House which were initially copied by Minton & Co for the restoration of the Temple Church in 1840-1845. See also Atterbury and Wainwright 1994, p. 144, pl. 261.
- Original from: Chapter House
- (Europe,United Kingdom,England,Greater London,London,City of Westminster,Westminster Abbey,Chapter House)
From Alexandra Palace Antiques Fair.
Prehistory and Europe
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: MCT16866
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.