A length of chequered cotton textile. Dark green and light grey checks on a cream 'ground'; twill woven, machine made. The number 'N 75' in red pigment, '75' in blue pigment in one corner; selvedges at the shorter sides.
- 1900-1914 (Papademetriou, Eleni 2000: 120)
- Made in: Karavas (Papademetriou, Eleni 2000: 120)
- (Europe,Cyprus,Kyrenia (district),Karavas)
- Made in: Lapithos (Papademetriou, Eleni 2000: 120)
- (Europe,Cyprus,Kyrenia (district),Lapithos)
- Made in: Kyrenia (Papademetriou, Eleni 2000: 120)
- (Europe,Cyprus,Kyrenia (district),Kyrenia)
- Found/Acquired: Cyprus
- Length: 48.5 centimetres
- Width: 35 centimetres
For information about the vendor and the collection, see Eu1914,1008.11, and E. Papademetriou, 'Cypriot Ethnography Collections in British Museums, Nicosia 2000, pp. 114-123.
For this sample, see Papademetriou 2000, no. 68, p.120: 'Cotton twill textile ('pantelonikki'): white with green and grey check pattern ('stavroto').
Prehistory and Europe
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: EEU152
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.