Icon painted with egg tempera, with gilding, on a wooden panel faced with linen and gesso. Subject: the 'Triumph of Orthodoxy' (the Restoration of Images to Byzantium after Iconoclasm in AD 843). In the centre of the upper register is a representation of the Hodegetria icon, which was believed to have been painted by St Luke; to the left stand the Regent, Theodora, and her young son, the emperor Michael III, both in imperial regalia; to the right stand Methodios, the Patriarch of Constantinople, and three monastic supporters of the Iconophile cause. In the lower register are eleven historical Iconophile figures, some of them holding small icons. Seven of the figures can be identified as (from left to right): St Theodosia (1), St Theophanes the Confessor (5), St Theodore the Studite (6), St Theodore and St Theophanes, the Graptoi (7 and 8), St Theophylaktos (10) and St Arsakios (11).
- 1400 (circa)
- Painted in: Constantinople
- (Asia,Turkey,Marmara Region,Istanbul (province),Istanbul (city),Constantinople)
- Height: 378 millimetres
- Width: 310 millimetres
- Depth: 53 millimetres
Inscription CommentInscriptions in Greek need to be recorded.
This icon has been photographed under infrared light; the photographs are in the departmental object folder. Published: The National Art Collections Fund Review 1988, 93-4; D. Buckton, Byzantium: Treasure of Byzantine Art and Culture, London, 1994, no 140
2010-2011, London, BM/BBC, 'A History of the World in 100 Objects'
2008-2009 25 Oct-22 Mar, London, Royal Academy of Arts, Byzantium 330-1453 AD
2007 20 Apr-19 Sep, London, The British Library, Sacred: Discover What We Share
2004 15 Mar-5 Jul, USA, New York, Metropolitan Museum of Art, Byzantium; Faith and Power
2000 16 Oct-2001 14 Jan, Greece, Athens, Benaki Museum, The Mother of God
1997 Jan 6-26, London, Christie's, National Art Collections Fund, 'Something for Everyone'
On display in 2003 and not examined
- Named in inscription & portrayed: Michael III, Byzantine Emperor
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Theophylaktos
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Theophanes Graptos
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Theophanes
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Theodore the Studite
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Theodorus Graptos
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Arsakios
- Named in inscription & portrayed: Methodios
- Representation of: Virgin Mary
- Representation of: Theodora
- Representation of: Jesus Christ
- Associated Event: Triumph of Orthodoxy
Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- IC 18 (Icon Collection number)
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: MCB1811
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.