What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site

 

Collection online

Additional options
Production date to

Or search by

Searching...

Clephane Horn

  • Object type

  • Museum number

    1979,0701.1

  • Title (object)

    • Clephane Horn
  • Description

    Horn or oliphant; ivory; carved with bands of relief decoration running around the hollowed-out elephant tusk; from bell to mouthpiece: plain band, stiff foliage, plain band, contiguous roundels, plain band, frieze of animals and mythical beasts, plain band, contiguous roundels, plain band, beaded band, running acanthus scroll, beaded band, a wide, slightly recessed band (for metal mount), plain band, running acanthus scroll, plain band, recessed band containing in four registers; 1) four quadrigae 2) hunting scene 3) men wrestling 4) performing animals; beaded band, stiff foliage, plain band, wide, slightly recessed, band (for metal mount), plain band, stiff foliage and a plain band.

    More 

  • Culture/period

  • Date

    • 11thC (probably)
  • Production place

  • Materials

  • Technique

  • Dimensions

    • Length: 575 millimetres
    • Width: 115 millimetres
  • Curator's comments

    Published: D. Buckton, Byzantium: Treasures of Byzantine Art and Culture, London, 1994, no 158. Archaelogia LXV 1913-14 pp.213-222.

  • Bibliography

    • Buckton 1994 158 bibliographic details
  • Location

    G40/dc7

  • Condition

    Four longitudinal splits; a large fragment missing from rim and another from inside of curve.

  • Conservation

    See treatments 

  • Subjects

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date

    1979

  • Acquisition notes

    Sir Walter Scott implied that the horn had been used for sounding the alarm from the battlements of Carslogie Castle, a seat of the Clephane family near Cupar, in Fife; according to tradition it had been in the castle since the Middle Ages. The horn has been on loan to the BM since 1914, accepted by H M Treasury in lieu of Capital Transfer Tax payable on the death of the 6th Marquess on 30.1.1978.

  • Department

    Britain, Europe and Prehistory

  • Registration number

    1979,0701.1


Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: MCB2512

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 

Supporters

Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help  

Loading...