There may be information missing from this page.
Following the issue last week with object details, these records are almost back to normal. However some objects (1%) are still not showing all the data they should. We estimate the data will be fully restored next week.
Updated: 14 April 2015
The Borradaile Triptych
- The Borradaile Triptych
Triptych; ivory; central panel carved with the Crucifixion, the Virgin and St John, and above, the half-length figures of the archangels Michael and Gabriel; on the left leaf, from top to bottom: St Kyros; St George and St Theodore Stratilates; St Menas and St Prokopios; on the right leaf: St John; St Eustathius and St Clement of Ankyra; St Stephen and St Kyrion. On the reverse are two inscribed crosses and roundels containing busts of Sts Joachim and Anna in the centres, with Sts Basil and Barbara, and John the Persian and Thekla at the terminals.
- Made in: Constantinople
- (Asia,Turkey,Marmara Region,Istanbul (province),Istanbul (city),Constantinople)
- Height: 270 millimetres (centre panel)
- Width: 157 millimetres
- Height: 278 millimetres (leaves)
- Width: 85 millimetres
- Thickness: 10 millimetres
Inscription Positioncentre panel
Inscription TransliterationIDEOUSSOU IDOUMETERSOU (John 19.26-7)
Inscription TranslationBehold thy son; behold thy mother
Inscription TransliterationIESUS CHRISTUS NIKA
Inscription TranslationJesus Christ is victorious
Published: D. Buckton, Byzantium: Treasures of Byzantine Art and Culture, London, 1994, no 153
2012 27 Aug-9 Dec, Kulturhistorisches Museum, Magdeburg, Otto the Great and the Roman Empire
2008-2009 25 Oct-22 Mar, London, Royal Academy of Arts, Byzantium 330-1453 AD
1985 21 Jun-30 Sep, Greece, Athens, Old University of Athens, Byzantine and Post-Byzantine Art
1979 29 Sep-30 Nov, Belgium, Brussels, Palais de Beaux-Arts, St Michel et sa Symbolique
6 June 2007
Reason for treatment
Light surface dirt.
Cleaned with 50/50 deioinzed water/industrial methylated spirits applied on cotton wool buds.
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Basil the Great
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Anne
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Joachim
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Eustace
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Barbara
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Theodore Stratelates
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Stephen of Antioch
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Procopius
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Menas
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Kyros
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St John the Persian
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St John of Syria
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St George
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Cyrion
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Clement of Ancyra
- Named in inscription & portrayed: St Thecla
- Representation of: St John the Evangelist
- Representation of: Virgin Mary
- Representation of: Jesus Christ
Britain, Europe and Prehistory
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: MCB3031
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.