Bag (pilli wondura) made of string (flax), human hair. Looped netbag.
- Found/Acquired: Killalpaninna (?)
- (Oceania,Australia,South Australia,Killalpaninna)
- Height: 34 centimetres
- Width: 47 centimetres
- Depth: 1 centimetres
Diyari men from central Australia, near Lake Eyre, have traditionally made a great variety of different netbags. They used some to carry personal belongings, such as stones, string and ochre. Some were used to carry food, including fat, meat and fish. Others were worn partly as a decoration and partly as special insignia belonging to a clan group.A label in HJ Hillier's hand attached to the bag reads 'pilli wondura'; also see related collection listing in Ethdoc 903.
Not on display
2011 26 May-11 Sep, London, BM, G91, Baskets and Belonging: Indigenous Australian Histories
15 June 2011
Reason for treatment
The basket is slightly misshapen. It is slightly dusty. Two labels are attached to the handle with a string.
The labels were removed for treatment.A low-powered museum vacuum was used with a soft brush to gently remove the soiling. Then, the basket was further cleaned by gently pressing a Chemsponge/smoke sponge (vulcanized rubber molecular trap, containing a minuscule percentage of mild soap i.e. <30grm per 500kg) onto the surface of the object. To re-shape the basket, it was padded with Bondina H3228 (non woven polyester) and crumpled nylon net, and placed into a humidity chamber, set between 75-90% RH, for 4 hours. Raising the RH of the plant fibres and hair increasing the basket’s pliability, enabling it to be re-shaped. A padded insert was made in undyed silk fabric with polyester wadding inside to hold the shape of the bag.After treatment the labels were re-attached to the handle with a cotton thread.Treated by Melina Plottu
This is one of 75 Aboriginal objects from Killapaninna and Hermannsburg in Central Australia which the British Museum bought from Mrs Sarah Hillier in 1908. The material was acquired by HJ Hillier, Sarah Hillier’s son, who worked as an English and art teacher at two South Lutheran Mission stations in South Australia, firstly at Killalpaninna (1893-1905) and then at Hermannsburg (1906-1910). The British Museum also purchased collections of similar material from Hillier in 1910 and 1911.
Africa, Oceania & the Americas
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: EOC12612
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.