What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site

 

Collection online

Additional options
Production date to

Or search by

Searching...

figure

  • Object type

  • Museum number

    1894,0718.12

  • Description

    Terracotta figure of a woman dancing.

  • Culture/period

  • Date

    • 380BC (circa)
  • Production place

  • Findspot

  • Materials

  • Dimensions

    • Height: 25 centimetres
    • Width: 11.5 centimetres
    • Weight: 361 grammes
  • Bibliography

    • Terracotta 884 bibliographic details
  • Location

    G20/1

  • Conservation

    See treatments 

    Treatment date

    9 October 2006

    Treatment proposal

    Dismantle and reconstruct

    Condition

    The object is in fair condition overall. There is dirt from excavation which covers the surface of the object. A white ground is present on the surface of the figure on top of which are 5 colours of pigment. These include : red, black, pink, orange and blue.

    The figure has been broken into three fragments at some point in the past and has been repaired using Shellac. The joins are unsightly and cover the pigmented surface.

    Treatment details

    The object was examined under the microscope at up to 40x magnification. The old Shellac joins were dismantled in an atmosphere of Industrial methylated spirits (ethanol,methanol) in a glass dessicator with tissue support. The figure was left in the dessicator for two weeks. This softened the Shellac but did not dismantle it so IMS was applied to the joins using a fine brush. Once dismantled the edges of the joins were cleaned by removing the remains of the Shellac with a scalpel and then with IMS applied on a stencil brush.

    The excavation dirt was carefully removed using a scalpel blade under the microscope. The dirt was removed in this way to reveal the underlying pigment. Some areas of dirt were easlily removed using this method whilst others were more problematic. If the pigment was at risk, the dirt was left in situ.

    The object was re-joined using HMG heatproof and waterproof adhesive (cellulose nitrate).

    After cleaning and repair the location of any revealed pigment was plotted on a photograph. See images for further detail of pigments.

    About these records 

  • Subjects

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date

    1894

  • Department

    Greek & Roman Antiquities

  • Registration number

    1894,0718.12


Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: GAA2210

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 

Supporters

Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help  

Loading...