What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site

 

Collection online

Additional options
Production date to

Or search by

Searching...

token / cloth-seal

  • Object type

  • Museum number

    1856,0701.5421

  • Description

    Cloth-mark or token; lead; dump; cruciform design, cross patée between four dots with radiated border.

  • Findspot

  • Materials

  • Dimensions

    • Diameter: 3.8 centimetres
  • Conservation

    See treatments 

    Treatment date

    23 March 2011

    Reason for treatment

    Storage

    Treatment proposal

    Stabilize chemically and physically. Clean, repair and support as necessary

    Condition

    All objects exhibited active corrosion with the presence of loose, powdery, voluminous, white corrosion products obscuring the surfaces.

    Treatment details

    The objects were treated via consolidative electrolytic reduction (CER). In preparation for the treatment, the objects were immerse in an acetone bath to remove any wax or lacquer.

    The CER setup consisted of a 5L electrolyte bath of 5% sodium carbonate in deionised water. The objects were placed on a plastic immersion tray with insulated wire handles. Stainless steel sheets were used as anodes. And to complete the circuit, the cathode consisted of the objects placed on several lead strips woven between tin-plated copper wire that was wrapped around the immersion tray.

    The reduction began on 19 Sept 2009 at 380mA and was left running overnight. The objects were checked several times daily. Air bubbles on the surface of the objects were removed using a brush and other trapped air bubbles amidst the setup were released by lifting and rocking the tray. Three days in, the reduction was temporarily suspended for the weekend. The objects were washed in deionised water for an hour and kept immersed in the washing tanks over the weekend.

    On the following Tuesday (Monday was a bank holiday), prior to restarting the treatment, it was noticed that several objects exhibited bright reddish orange spots indicative of iron corrosion. Seal 1915, 1208.167 is the most likely originator of the iron. This seal and all other seals with visible iron corrosion—7 in total--were removed the treatment.

    The removed seals include:

    1915, 1208.167

    1856, 0701.5421

    1882, 0621.171

    1910, 0407.46

    1910, 0407.97

    s263

    s220

    Later analysis by museum scientist Philip Fletcher using SEM-EDX confirmed the presence of iron corrosion on the lead seals.

    About these records 

  • Subjects

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date

    1856

  • Department

    Britain, Europe and Prehistory

  • Registration number

    1856,0701.5421


Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: MCN873

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 

Supporters

Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help  

Loading...