Parina marble relief; attendant leading bull with halter and sashes to right.
- Length: 27 centimetres (max)
Cook 2011, nr 6:
‘A Bas relief of a ferialis leading a bull to sacrifice’ (TY 8/2), perhaps the ‘small relief’ registered as 1805,0703.262 on the basis of Combe’s Supplementary list and Receipt, but marked ‘not found’ in the 1848 Register.
Bought from Brenna on 19 April 1768 for 12 Scudi (TY 8/2, TY 10/5), rendered by Townley as £12 in TY 10/3.
- H. Ellis (Sir), The Townley Gallery of Classic Sculpture in the British Museum, Vol. II (London 1846), 202.
- Synopsis of the Contents of the British Museum (1837) XI.3.1.
- A. H. Smith, A Catalogue of Sculpture in the Department of Greek and Roman Antiquities, British Museum, Vol. III (London 1904), 434-5, no. 2663, fig. 72.
- B. F. Cook, `The Townley Marbles in Westminster and Bloomsbury', The British Museum Yearbook, 2 (1977), 72, no. 19.
Found unregistered in Department.
Greek & Roman Antiquities
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: GAA65390
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.