Rectangular machine-printed white cotton cloth, 'kanga', with a continuous patterned border of wavy lines in orange and black, enclosing a central rectangle with a similar but larger recurring motif, also in black and orange. Just above the centre of the lower border is an inscription in Kiswahili written in the Roman script: BAHATI YANGU NIYAMPERA KILANIPATACHD CHAWAKULA.
- Designed in: Mombasa (town)MALI YA ABDULLA, Biashara Street, Mombasa
- (Africa,Kenya,Coast Province,Mombasa)
- Printed in: India (?)
- (Asia,South Asia,India)
- Found/Acquired: Lamu Island
- (Africa,Kenya,Coast Province,Lamu District,Lamu Island)
- Width: 147 centimetres
- Height: 102 centimetres
Inscription ContentBAHATI YANGU NIYAMPERA KILANIPATACHD CHAWAKULA
kangas are printed and purchased in pairs, then cut into single cloths before wear.
- Associated with: Pate Island
Purchased from Khalifa Abubaka on Lamu Island
Africa, Oceania & the Americas
Object reference number: EAF121915