shield / mount
Four disc-headed shield mounts, parcel-gilt copper alloy. Each one has a circular silver sheet in the centre surrounded by a recessed gilded, ribbed ring with a border covered with plain silver sheet. The silver sheet appears to have been applied by soldering. Remains of mineralised wood and leather on the underside of each mount.
- Excavated/Findspot: Sutton Hoo, Visitor Centre, SF2115 to SF2118, Grave 0868
- (Europe,United Kingdom,England,Suffolk,Sutton (parish),Sutton Hoo)
- Diameter: 20 millimetres (each)
- Thickness: 2 millimetres (each)
- Length: 7.5 millimetres (of rivet, each)
Finds were discovered during the archaeological excavations before the Visitor Centre was constructed. The National trust donated all of the finds to the British Museum.
Prehistory and Europe
- SF2115 (Small find number)
- SF2116 (Small find number)
- SF2117 (Small find number)
- SF2118 (Small find number)
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: MCS32435
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.