shield / fitting
Shield grip, iron, with two copper alloy disc-headed rivets in situ. In two fragments, one of which is very small. Remains of mineralised textile, wood and skin are preserved on the grip. Associated with shield boss 2001,0103.3.a.
- Excavated/Findspot: Sutton Hoo, Visitor Centre, SF2128, Grave 0868
- (Europe,United Kingdom,England,Suffolk,Sutton (parish),Sutton Hoo)
- Length: 161 millimetres
- Width: 20 millimetres (min)
- Width: 31 millimetres (max)
- Length: 10 millimetres (of rivet)
Finds were discovered during the archaeological excavations before the Visitor Centre was constructed. The National trust donated all of the finds to the British Museum.
Britain, Europe and Prehistory
- SF2128 (Small find number)
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: MCS32431
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.