- 1/1 Next
A fashionably-dressed young woman sitting in front of a mirror, applying rouge, while her maid stands behind her to right holding her hat; in an oval frame; scratched open-letter state. 1783
- Published in: London
- (Europe,British Isles,England,London)
- Height: 393 millimetres
- Width: 325 millimetres
- Height: 49 millimetres (inscription space, trimmed)
Inscription Content[The inscription is printed from a separate plate] Scratched below the image with the title in open letters and 'Painted & Engraved by J R Smith // Publish'd Mar.h 10th 1783 by J R Smith No 83 Oxford Street'.
Not on display (British XVIIIc Unmounted Roy)
- With contribution from: British Museum Friends
- With contribution from: National Heritage Memorial Fund
- With contribution from: The Art Fund
- With contribution from: Friends of Prints and Drawings
- With contribution from: Mrs Charles Wrightsman
- With contribution from: Michael Marks Charitable Trust
- Purchased from: Hon Christopher Lennox-Boyd
Acquired with the assistance of the National Heritage Memorial Fund, the Friends of the British Museum, the Art Fund, Mrs Charles Wrightsman, the Michael Marks Charitable Trust, and numerous individual donors.
Prints & Drawings
A fashionably-dressed young woman sitting in front of a mirror, applying rouge, while her maid stands behind her to right holding her hat; in an oval frame; scratched open-letter state. 1783 Hand-coloured mezzotint
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: PPA324257
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.