Beeringu-kai o shōkai suru kūkai no sei’ei, kōhō ni mieru yukiyama wa Attsu-tō ベーリング海を哨戒する空海の精鋭 後方に見える雪山はアッツ島 (The pick of the navy flyers patrol the Bering Sea; in the distance are the snowy mountains of Attu Island.)
- Beeringu-kai o shōkai suru kūkai no sei’ei, kōhō ni mieru yukiyama wa Attsu-tō ベーリング海を哨戒する空海の精鋭 後方に見える雪山はアッツ島 (The pick of the navy flyers patrol the Bering Sea; in the distance are the snowy mountains of Attu Island.)
Propaganda photograph from the Pacific War (1941-45). Vintage gelatin print.
- Printed in: Tokyo-to
- Height: 18.9 centimetres
- Width: 16.4 centimetres
Inscription TransliterationBeeringu-kai o shōkai suru kūkai no sei’ei, kōhō ni mieru yukiyama wa Attsu-tō
Inscription TranslationThe pick of the navy flyers patrol the Bering Sea; in the distance are the snowy mountains of Attu Island.
Inscription CommentWritten in pencil. Reference number original to inscription.
Used for illustration in the photobook, (Dai Tōa sensō) Kaigun sakusen shashin kiroku (大東亜戦争: 海軍作戦写真記録 The Great East Asia War: Photographic Record of Naval Engagements), vol. 2, p. 42 (reg. no. 2011,3005.1). The Japanese title inscribed on the back of the photograph corresponds to the published caption in the book.
Not on display
- Associated with: Aleutian Islands
- (Americas,North America,United States of America,Alaska,Aleutians West,Aleutian Islands)
- Associated with: Alaska
- (Americas,North America,United States of America,Alaska (state))
- Named in inscription: Attu
- (Americas,North America,Greenland,West Greenland,Northwest Greenland,Disko Bay,Kangaatsiaq Municipality,Attu)
- Named in inscription: Bering Sea
- (Pacific Ocean,Bering Sea)
- Associated Event: Pacific War (1941-1945)
- Associated Event: Second World War (1939-1945)
- With contribution from: Myōjin Shigeru
- With contribution from: Sherif Nadar
- With contribution from: Myōjin Noriko
- With contribution from: Dounia Nadar
- Purchased from: Maggs Bros
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Nishino Yoshiaki (西野嘉章) (Purchased in a bookshop in the Kanda second-hand book district of Tokyo.)
Credit Line: Purchase funded by Noriko and Shigeru Myōjin and Dounia and Sherif Nadar
There is no image of this object, or there may be copyright restrictions
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: JCF22680
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.