Entotsu sōji (shōsen) (Cleaning the funnel (merchant ship))
- Entotsu sōji (shōsen) (Cleaning the funnel (merchant ship))
Propaganda photograph from the Pacific War (1941-45). Vintage gelatin print.
- Printed in: Tokyo-to
- Height: 21.4 centimetres
- Width: 15 centimetres
Inscription TransliterationEntotsu sōji (shōsen)
Inscription TranslationCleaning the funnel (merchant ship)
Inscription CommentWritten in pencil. Reference number original to inscription.
Used for illustration in the photobook, (Dai Tōa sensō) Kaigun sakusen shashin kiroku (大東亜戦争: 海軍作戦写真記録 The Great East Asia War: Photographic Record of Naval Engagements), vol. 2, p. 48 (reg. no. 2011,3005.1). The Japanese title inscribed on the back of the photograph corresponds to the published caption in the book.
- Associated Event: Pacific War (1941-1945)
- Associated Event: Second World War (1939-1945)
- With contribution from: Myōjin Shigeru
- With contribution from: Sherif Nadar
- With contribution from: Myōjin Noriko
- With contribution from: Dounia Nadar
- Purchased from: Maggs Bros
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Nishino Yoshiaki (西野嘉章) (Purchased in a bookshop in the Kanda second-hand book district of Tokyo)
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Nakano Kikuo (中野菊夫)
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Yamahata Photographic Science Institute Archive 山端写真研究所アーカイブ
Credit Line: Purchase funded by Noriko and Shigeru Myōjin and Dounia and Sherif Nadar
There is no image of this object, or there may be copyright restrictions
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: JCF22679
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.