Sensuikan shutsugeki (Submarine Sortie)
- Sensuikan shutsugeki (Submarine Sortie)
Propaganda photograph from the Pacific War (1941-45). Vintage gelatin print.
- Printed in: Tokyo-to
- Height: 22.6 centimetres
- Width: 16.1 centimetres
Inscription Content潜水艦出撃 FI-214
Inscription TransliterationSensuikan shutusgeki
Inscription TranslationSubmarine sortie
Inscription CommentWritten in pencil. Reference number original to inscription.
Used for illustration in the photobook, (Dai Tōa sensō) Kaigun sakusen shashin kiroku (大東亜戦争: 海軍作戦写真記録 The Great East Asia War: Photographic Record of Naval Engagements), vol. 2, frontispiece, left gatefold (reg. no. 2011,3005.1). The Japanese title inscribed on the back of the photograph corresponds to the published caption in the book.
2011 Oct-2012 Feb, BM Japanese Galleries, ‘Japan from Prehistory to the Present’
- Associated Event: Pacific War (1941-1945)
- Associated Event: Second World War (1939-1945)
- With contribution from: Myōjin Shigeru
- With contribution from: Sherif Nadar
- With contribution from: Myōjin Noriko
- With contribution from: Dounia Nadar
- Purchased from: Maggs Bros
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Nishino Yoshiaki (西野嘉章) (Purchased in a bookshop in the Kanda second-hand book district of Tokyo.)
Credit Line: Purchase funded by Noriko and Shigeru Myōjin and Dounia and Sherif Nadar
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: JCF22673
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.