Pair of ladies house slippers (papouches, Turkish pabuç) made of soft brownish-yellow leather with a border of twisted silk embroidery thread and two red silk tassels on the front. Worn indoors.
- Made in: Istanbul
- (Asia,Turkey,Marmara Region,Istanbul (province),Istanbul (city))
- Length: 24.5 centimetres (slipper 'a')
- Width: 10 centimetres (slipper 'a')
- Weight: 50 grammes (slipper 'a')
- Length: 24 centimetres (slipper 'b')
- Width: 10 centimetres (slipper 'b')
- Weight: 46 grammes (slipper 'b')
'Turkish papoches [sic] and torleks [sic] which ladies wear within doors at home in Constantinople and Smyrna." H. J. Braunholtz, 'Sir Hans Sloane and Ethnography', British Museum, 1970.
- As1753D10.1540a (old CDMS no.)
Object reference number: RRM190274