The Old East India House in Leadenhall Street 1648 to 1726
- Previous 0/9058
- The Old East India House in Leadenhall Street 1648 to 1726
View of the building before it was rebuilt in 1726, showing the old timber frame, and with images of sailing boats, fish and a statue at the top, a coat of arms below, man standing near entrance; a paragraph of letterpress on the history of the company below the image; copy after an old Dutch painting. c.1830
Etching with letterpress
- Height: 123 millimetres
- Width: 87 millimetres (plate mark)
- Height: 226 millimetres
- Width: 145 millimetres (sheet)
Inscription ContentLettered below image with title, followed by "From a painting in the possession of Mr Pulham of the India House 12 Inches by 8", and above image in Dutch "Het Huis Van Den Oost Indische Compagnie in Londen", and with fifteen lines of letterpress below image, beginning "The earliest information relating to the establishment of the East India Company is to be gathered from the account of a meeting of London Merchants..."
This is possibly a page from a small book or pamphlet on London.
- Topographic representation of: London
- (Europe,British Isles,England,London)
Prints & Drawings
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: PPA281447
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.