What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site

 

Collection online

Additional options
Production date to

Or search by

Searching...

Priory Gate, Clerkenwell

  • Object type

  • Museum number

    1957,0530.151

  • Title (object)

    • Priory Gate, Clerkenwell
  • Description

    View looking through the arches of the gate, once part of the priory of St John of Jerusalem; a vaulted ceiling between arches, a man with his horse passing through; letterpress text printed on sheet below; illustration to the 'Antiquarian and Topographical Cabinet'. 1811
    Etching and letterpress

    More 

  • Producer name

  • School/style

  • Date

    • 1811
  • Production place

  • Materials

  • Technique

  • Dimensions

    • Height: 99 millimetres (trimmed)
    • Width: 101 millimetres
    • Height: 184 millimetres (sheet)
    • Width: 110 millimetres (sheet)
  • Inscriptions

      • Inscription Content

        Lettered below image with production details: "Engrav'd by J Storer from a drawing by H Gastineau for the Antiquarian & Topographical Cabinet"; below the title in letterpress, followed by two columns of text, beginning "This magnificent Gate is the only existing member of the priory of St John of Jerusalem, the buildings of which were of considerable extent, and occupied the ground now called St John's Square, and parts adjacent....", and ending, "The last prior was sir William Weston, who upon the suppression, had a pension assigned him of 1000l. per annum, but he died of a broken heart, in the year 1540, on the very day that the priory was suppressed. The house and church remained entire during the reign of Henry VIII, who kept here his tents and toils for the chace; afterwards the church, which was remarkable for the beauty of its tower, was blown up with gunpowder, by order of the portector, Somerset, and the stones used for building his palace in the Strand".
  • Curator's comments

    For comment see 1880,1113.3476

  • Bibliography

    • Adams (London) 118.6 bibliographic details
  • Location

    BH/FF10/London Topography

  • Associated places

  • Associated titles

    • Associated Title: The Antiquarian and Topographical Cabinet
  • Acquisition date

    1957

  • Department

    Prints & Drawings

  • Registration number

    1957,0530.151


Feedback

If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: PPA277984

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 

Supporters

Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help  

Loading...