- Previous 0/1630
Ding porcelain bowl, with six-lobed sides and rim (formerly bound with copper). The bowl has ivory glaze.
- Made in: Quyang (county)
- (Asia,China,Hebei (province),Quyang)
- Height: 68 millimetres
- Diameter: 218 millimetres
Published PDF date : 11thC-12thCRoom 95 label text:
Bowl with lobed rim
The main Ding ware workshops were located in Jianci village, Quyang county, Hebei province, and were in almost constant operation from the early eighth until the mid-fourteenth century. In the Tang dynasty (AD 618–907), the area was called Dingzhou prefecture which is why their products are known as Ding wares. During the first half of the tenth century, Ding wares were often made in the shape of flowers and left undecorated. Later in the tenth and early eleventh century incised, combed and applied designs were created. From the mid-eleventh century, potters used reusable, intricately-carved moulds which sped up the production process.
Stoneware with transparent glaze
Quyang county, Hebei province 河北省, 曲陽縣
Northern Song dynasty, about AD 1000–1127
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: RRC38567
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.