The Woodward Shield / Dr Woodward's Shield
- The Woodward Shield
- Dr Woodward's Shield
Buckler; iron; circular; concave towards front; raised central circle: hollow, concave towards body; central boss in form of grotesque mask; central hole for spike in middle of mouth; overall repoussé decoration representing ruins of Rome burned by the Gauls and the weighing of gold for ransom; inside: riveted patch of iron and band of iron around edge of shield; one remaining ornate projecting clasp from cross-bar; traces of gilding outside.
- 1540-1550 (circa)
- Made in: France
- Diameter: 36.5 centimetres
- Weight: 1250 grammes
See the monograph by Joseph M.Levine, 'Dr Woodward's Shield: history, science and satire in Augustan England', Berkeley California, 1977
According to tradition, discarded from the Royal Armouries at the end of the reign of Charles II, then to John Conyers, who sold it to Woodward. The scenes are so close to ancient accounts by Livy and Plutarch that Woodward thought the Shield had been made at the same time as the events depicted rather than as illustration of the texts. Woodward's treatise on the shield, printed in 1713, prompted Pope's satire of the same year on the follies of antiquarianism.
Beautiful engraved illustration of the buckler in preface to Woodward's dissertation in Dodwell, De Parma Equestri, London 1713. We have a copy of Henry Dodwell's Dissertation given by his son, also called Henry Dodwell, in the Department Library of MME, with Latin dedication inscription on the flyleaf.
30 September 1993
Clean to improve appearance. Repair central boss area, replacing old patch. Reveal and improve the remaining gilding traces. . .
Surface of shield dusty and dirty with traces of remaining gilding obscured. Evidence of old surface coating. Old repair patch to central boss made of leather and secured with animal glue.
Surface cleaned with swabs of acetone. Coated with a layer of Renaissance wax (cosmolloid 80H-microcrystalline wax,BASF hard wax "A"-polyethylene wax,white spirit) to protect the surface. Old repair mechanically removed, and the rear surface cleaned. A shaped piece of brass wa sinserted from behind and secured in position with Super epoxy (epoxy). The surface was then covered with a layer of Plastic Padding Elastic filler. The detail was sculpted onto the surface with Bonda filler SL (polyester, inert filler), and carved to shape once hard. The repaired area was then painted with white shellac and powder pigments to give the desired coloured finish. The rear of the brass repair was painted in a similar way.
- Topographic representation of: Rome
- (Europe,Italy,Lazio,Rome (province),Rome)
Prehistory and Europe
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: MCN11670
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.