"Non mi ricordo!" &c. &c. &c.
- "Non mi ricordo!" &c. &c. &c.
George IV, a seedy and bloated dandy, stands at the bar, saying, with melancholy anger, "Non mi Ricordo!" in answer to the question printed below the design: '"Who are you?"'
Wood-engraving, vignette on titlepage to a letterpress pamphlet
- Published in: London
- (Europe,British Isles,England,London)
- Height: 218 millimetres (approx. page size)
- Width: 136 millimetres (approx. page size)
Inscription ContentLettered with title, further lines and publication lines: 'London: printed by and for William Hone, Ludgate Hill. / 1820. / Sixpence.'; on verso: 'The drawings for this publication are all by Mr. George Cruikshank.'
(Description and comment from M. Dorothy George, 'Catalogue of Political and Personal Satires in the British Museum', X, 1952)
Illustration to a pamphlet by Hone, parodying the cross-examination of Majocchi, see No. 13827, with the objections of the Solicitor-General, the rulings of the Lord Chancellor, the interpositions of peers, and of the interpreter. The King is examined on his past life and present occupations, with allusions to the Queen, Ladies Jersey, Hertford, Conyngham, and the Duchess of Richmond. It was unsuccessfully indicted for libel in 1821, cf. No. 13790. The other woodcuts are Nos. 13845, 13846 (Reid, Nos. 2980-1).
'Examiner', 3 Sept. 1820, p. 572. Reissued, 'Hone's Facetiæ', 1827. Reproduced, Jerrold, i. 100.
Not on display (184.a.1/5)
- Associated with: Charlotte, Duchess of Richmond
- Associated with: Frances Villiers, Countess of Jersey
- Associated with: George IV, King of the United Kingdom
- Associated with: Elizabeth Conyngham, Marchioness Conyngham
- Associated with: Isabella Anne Ingram Shepherd, 2nd Marchioness of Hertford
- Associated with: Caroline of Brunswick
- Associated Title: "Non mi ricordo!" &c. &c. &c.
Prints & Drawings
There is no image of this object, or there may be copyright restrictions
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: PPA217709
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.