Lady Layard's Necklace
- Lady Layard's Necklace
Lady Layard's necklace: the gold settings are decorated with chevron borders which imitates Late Assyrian cylinder seals, and included Assyrian lions' heads and 'pine-cone' motifs.
- 1869 (Date of manufacture of the gold settings and make-up of the necklace)
- Length: 49.7 centimetres (necklace)
- Length: 6.79 centimetres (ear-ring)
- Length: 6.58 centimetres (ear-ring)
- Height: 6.88 centimetres (bracelet)
- Width: 7.39 centimetres (bracelet)
Sir Austin Henry Layard married in March 1869 at the age of 52. His 25-year-old bride was Enid, daughter of Charlotte Guest, Layard's cousin, old friend and long-time supporter. As a wedding present, Layard had a number of seals which he had acquired during his travels made up into a necklace, bracelet (1913,0208.1) and two earrings (1913,0208.2 & 1913,0208.3) in these Victorian gold settings. A portrait (1980,1216.1) shows Enid wearing the jewellery, and she wrote in her diary that, when they dined with Queen Victoria in 1873, it was 'much admired'.
See also C. Gere & J. Rudoe, 'Jewellery in the Age of Queen Victoria: A Mirror to the World', London, British Museum, 2010, fig. 368, p.394.
On display: G55/dc15
2013 22 Jun-2014 6 Jan, Toronto, Royal Ontario Museum, 'Mesopotamia, Inventing Our World'
2013 30 Jan-13 May, Museum of History, Hong Kong, 'The Wonders of Ancient Mesopotamia'
2012 4 May-7 Oct, Melbourne Museum, 'The Wonders of Ancient Mesopotamia'
2011 28 March-26 June, Abu Dhabi, Manarat Al Saadiyat, 'Splendours of Mesopotamia'
2008 21 Sept-2009 4 Jan, Boston, MFA, 'Art and Empire'
2006 1 Jul-7 Oct, Shanghai Museum, 'Art and Empire'
2004 15 Oct-2005 16 Jan, London, Leighton House Museum and Linley Sambourne House, 'The Price of Beauty: Edward Long's 'Babylonian Marriage Market'
1993 18 Nov-1994 15 Jan, France, Paris, Musée du Louvre, '150 ème Anniversaire de la Decouverte des Assyriens'
Report to the Director by Budge, dated 30 April 1914
- cylinder seal; bracelet (1913,0208.1; 105111; 115656)
- ear-ring; cylinder seal (1913,0208.2; 105112; 115656)
- ear-ring; cylinder seal (1913,0208.3; 105113; 115656)
- cylinder seal (1913,0208.4; 105114; 115656)
- cylinder seal (1913,0208.5; 105115; 115656)
- cylinder seal (1913,0208.6; 105116; 115656)
- cylinder seal (1913,0208.7; 105117; 115656)
- cylinder seal (1913,0208.8; 105118; 115656)
- cylinder seal (1913,0208.9; 105119; 115656)
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: WCO147065
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.