Album of Persian Costumes and Animals with Some Drawings by Kaempfer
- Album of Persian Costumes and Animals with Some Drawings by Kaempfer
Trainer watching a competition between two wrestlers; single-page painting on an album folio. To the left the wrestlers are entangled, bare chested, shaved heads, and shoeless, while the fully clothed trainer stands aside, holding a cloth in one arm. A purse hangs from the sash tied around his waist, while a large turban covers his head. Inscribed. Album contains 44 paintings and drawings, mostly of Persian costumes and animals with some drawings by Kaempfer.
Ink and opaque watercolour on paper. Album is bound in brown leather with gold gilt decoration. Inside covers have marbled paper.
- 1684-1685 (AH 1096)
- Made in: Isfahan
- (Asia,Iran,Central Iran,Isfahan (province))
- Width: 29.9 centimetres (sheet)
- Height: 21.4 centimetres (sheet)
- Height: 22.4 centimetres (Manuscript)
- Width: 32 centimetres (Manuscript)
- Thickness: 2.9 centimetres (Manuscript)
Inscription Positionabove figures
See 1974,0617,0.1 .1-.45 for all folios included in this album.
See 1974,0617,0.1.1-2 for spine and front matter inscriptions.
Not on display
2013 - 2014 27 Sep - 12 Jan, Zurich, Museum Rietberg, 'The Fascination of Persia' 1974,0617,0.1.12 and 1974,0617,0.1.13 displayed
Transferred from the Department of Oriental Manuscripts and Printed Books (OMPB).
- CXV.A (on fly leaf in pencil; Montagu House press-mark?)
- Min.142 (98) (on fly leaf; old Sloane Library Numbers)
- PLUT.CXIII.B (on spine of album; old BM library shelf-mark; ie. PLUT = Plutarch)
- SL.2925 (obsolete BM Library number replaced by 5027.b)
- SL.5027.b (on spine of album and fly leaf)
- XXXIX.A (on fly leaf)
Album leaf; competition between two wrestlers with trainer watching. To the left the wrestlers are entangled, bare chested, shaved heads, and shoeless, while the fully clothed trainer stands aside, holding a cloth in one arm. A purse hangs from the sash tied around his waist, while a large turban covers his head. Void background. Inscriptions appear above both wrestlers and trainer. Painted in opaque watercolour and ink on paper.
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: RFM911
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.