What just happened?

To celebrate Vikings Live, we have replaced our Roman alphabet with the runic alphabet used by the Vikings, the Scandinavian ‘Younger Futhark’. The ‘Younger Futhark’ has only 16 letters, so we have used some of the runic letters more than once or combined two runes for one Roman letter.

For an excellent introduction to runes, we recommend Martin Findell’s book published by British Museum Press.

More information about how we have ‘runified’ this site


Collection online

Additional options
Production date to

Or search by



  • Object type

  • Museum number


  • Description

    Sword (part of). Made of iron (corroded).

  • Findspot

  • Materials

  • Dimensions

    • Length: 20.2 centimetres
  • Curator's comments

    Similar to 1880.615 and 1880.616 with which it is kept.

  • Condition

    Corroded and disintegrating; consolidated by Metals conservation Feb 1996

  • Conservation

    See treatments 

    Treatment date

    15 February 1996

    Treatment proposal

    Re attatch main fragments, clean as necessary with Air Abrasive unit. Consolidate with Glass icro-Balloons and HG Nitrocellulose ashesive.


    The Iron is heavily corroded and laminated leaving the piece in fragments which are extremely fragile.

    Treatment details

    The areas of the blade to which the larger fragments were to be attatched were air abraided with Aluminium Oxide in a Jet Sonic unit along with the contact faces of the individual fragments (reverse sides). The main piece and fragments were Consolidated using 5% Paraloid B72 (ethyl methacrylate copolymer) 50/50 in acetone/Industrial methylated spirits (ethanol,methanol) applied using brush. This was injected into the larger cracks along the hilt and pommel. The pieces were re attatched with HMG heatproof and waterproof adhesive (cellulose nitrate). The whole was air abraided with Alumunium Oxide and splits and cracks consolidted using Glass Micro-Balloons and HMG Adhesive. The join areas were retouched using Shellac, Industrial methylated spirits (ethanol,methanol) and dry ground powder pigments. The whole was finally coated with 5% Paraloid 50/50 in Acetone/IMS.

    About these records 

  • Acquisition name

  • Acquisition date


  • Department


  • Registration number


There is no image of this object, or there may be copyright restrictions

Image service:

Request new photography



If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: collectiondatabase@britishmuseum.org 

View open data for this object with SPARQL endpoint

Object reference number: RRI9736

British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.

View this object

Support the Museum:
donate online

The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.

About the database

The British Museum collection database is a work in progress. New records, updates and images are added every week.

More about the database 


Work on this database is supported by a range of sponsors, donors and volunteers.

More about supporters and how you
can help