Plaque. Terracotta plaque with a figure of Śiva on a trotting bull (Vrsabharudhamurti); broken and repaired; made of carved terracotta.
- 8thC-9thC (circa)
- Found/Acquired: India (east)
- (Asia,South Asia,India)
- Height: 32 centimetres
- Width: 20.5 centimetres
Shiva holds a curving horn, a feature seen in the later art of Bengal (TRB).
Not on display
Returned from conservation August 1998.
28 July 1998
Reason for treatment
Restick to make stable. Fill and paint if necessary.
Previously restored, most joins broken, one intact in upper right. Several small areas missing. Parts of edges and surface abraded as if with wire brush. Thick layer of old adhesive on break edges. Small amounts of old white filler on edges and spreading onto front surface. Possible thin light colour slip over parts of surface. Traces of old pigment, mainly red, some of it associated with old repair as on top of filler. Surface dirty.
Dry cleaned with Rowney's kneadable putty rubber (vulcanized rubber) rolled over surface. Old filler removed mechanically with scalpel as far as possible, left where ingrained in the terracotta surface. Loose old adhesive removed, remainder swabbed with acetone. Reconstructed using HMG heatproof and waterproof adhesive (cellulose nitrate) . Joins supported with vacuum cushion during curing. Uneven back surface made it difficult to support horizontally during curing. Lower section was reassembled, then supported against a board stood upright in a sand tray. Remainder of the plaque was then reassembled vertically. Left to cure undisturbed for several days due to the large amount of HMG used in the poorly-fitting joins. Missing areas filled with Polyfilla interior (calcium sulphate hydrate,cellulose ether) mixed with water. Finshed with Modostuc filler (calcium sulphate, barium sulphate) where Polyfilla had shrunk. Cut back with a scalpel blade and sanded smooth with various grades of abrasive paper. After consulting the curator, no attempt was made to mould missing areas of the raised figures, and the fills were left unpainted. Plaster fills sealed with Paraloid B72 (ethyl methacrylate copolymer) in 50/50 Acetone /Industrial methylated spirits (ethanol,methanol) applied by brush.
Purchased by John Bridge at the Stuart sale at Christie's in June, 1830. The collection was given to the British Museum in 1872 by Mrs John Bridge and his nieces, Miss Fanny Bridge and Mrs Edgar Baker, on the death that year of George Bridge, brother of John Bridge.
- 104 (Bridge Collection number)
There is no image of this object, or there may be copyright restrictions
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: RRI12213
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.