Capital. Pillar capital consisting of a pair of stylised adorsed lions supporting on their joint backs a rectangular abacus, the front face of which is carved with curling tendrils. In the base a deep hole for fixing the capital to a pillar by means of a dowel. Carved in a mottled red sandstone and inscribed on all surfaces save the lion faces and abacus.
- Made in: India (Mathura)
- (Asia,South Asia,India)
- Found/Acquired: Mathura
- (Asia,India,Uttar Pradesh,Mathura District,Mathura)
- Height: 34 centimetres
- Width: 52.5 centimetres
Inscription PositionAll over the bodies of the lions and on the bottom of the block on which they stand.
Inscription CommentKonow 1929 for transcription and translation.
Said to have been found "embedded in the steps of an altar devoted to Sitala, on a site belonging to some low-caste Hindus at Mathura (Konow 1929, 30)"
F W Thomas, 'Epigraphia Indica', Calcutta 1908 (reprinted 1981) pp.135-147.
Not on display
- Named in inscription: Guhavihara, Buddhist monastery in the Mathura area.
- (Asia,India,Uttar Pradesh,Mathura District,Guhavihara)
The sculpture, with the notes on its inscription made by the donor, Dr Indraji, were sent first to Bombay and then to England after his death (Buhler 1894, 525, see also, Konow 1929, 30)).
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: RRI4673
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.