Handle of a Cista lid: two warriors supporting the body of a third.
Red chalk on white
- Height: 192 millimetres
- Width: 232 millimetres
The original is in Florence (?).
The dedication on the engraving reads: "D. Bindaccio baroni de Ricasolis Praefecto Regiae Cohortis M. D. Equiti et Patris. Flor."
Cp. the cover of the cista in the Villa Giulia, from the Barberini collection (Giglioli, L'arte etrusca, pl. CCXCI).
[this information from: C. C. Vermeule, The Dal Pozzo-Albani Drawings in the Department of Greek and Roman Antiquities of the British Museum (type-written manuscript in G&R)]
- Donated by: Sir Charles Hercules Read
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Carlo Antonio dal Pozzo
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Cassiano dal Pozzo
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Charles Townley
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Cardinal Alessandro Albani
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Richard Dalton
- Previous owner/ex-collection: James Adam
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Sir Augustus Wollaston Franks
Greek & Roman Antiquities
- Vol.II, fol. 125, no. 514 (Franks)
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: GAA83365
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.