Eight studies of antique (intaglio and one cameo) gems.
Achilles (a warrior) arming.
A young warrior leaning on a reversed spear.
A warrior carrying a comrade's body ("Menelaus with the body of Patroclus")
The flight of Aeneas, represented in orthodox schema.
Two standing figures (a woman and a man?) clasping hands in gesture of concordia.
A warrior sacrificing (? - rendered as Gaius Mucius Scaevola burning his right hand over the altar before King Porsena: Livy, ii, 12 and 13).
(A damaged gem; the upper third missing). Mars (?) guarding a bound Eastern captive beneath a trophy.
Warriors carrying shields (?) - Interpreted as an Etruscan version of the Ancilia ceremony performed in March by the Salii, priests of Mars.
All are pencil and brown wash on white.
- Height: 85 millimetres ((ca. 85) nos.427-433)
- Width: 65 millimetres (nos.427-433)
- Height: 66 millimetres (no. 434)
- Width: 85 millimetres (no. 434)
Cp. Reinach, Pierres Gravees, pl. 61, Gori II, no. 57-2; Maffei, Gemme Antiche, IV, fig. 8 ("Cincinnatus"; onyx).
Cp. Montfaucon, IV, 1, pl. VIII, 3 (after Maffei and reversed); also Reinach, Pierres Gravees, pl. 63, Gori II, no. 62-2; Maffei, Gemme Antiche, IV, fig. 40 ("Caritas Militaris").
Probably the gem which is also Montfaucon, I, Suppl., pl. LXIX, i (after Maffei), and Reinach, Pierres Gravees, pl. 55, Gori II, No. 30-2; Maffei, Gemme Antiche, IV, fig. 4 (onyx).
Cp. Reinach, Pierres Gravees, pl. 47, Gori I, nos. 100-6 to 100-9, all reversed.
Cp. the intaglios, Gorlaeus, Dactyliothecae, I, no. 14; II, nos. 206, 207. Our stone is Reinach, Pierres Gravees, pl. 61, Gori II, no. 57-1; Maffei, Gemme Antiche, IV, fig. 10.
Montfaucon, IV, 1, pl. XCVII, no. 4 (reversed and after Maffei); Maffei, Gemme Antiche, IV fig. 15 (cameo).
[this information from: C. C. Vermeule, The Dal Pozzo-Albani Drawings in the Department of Greek and Roman Antiquities of the British Museum (type-written manuscript in G&R)]
- Donated by: Sir Charles Hercules Read
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Carlo Antonio dal Pozzo
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Cassiano dal Pozzo
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Charles Townley
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Cardinal Alessandro Albani
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Richard Dalton
- Previous owner/ex-collection: James Adam
- Previous owner/ex-collection: Sir Augustus Wollaston Franks
Greek & Roman Antiquities
- Vol.II, fol. 87, nos. 427-434 (Franks)
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: GAA83328
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.