A terracotta dove flying with wings spread. A pierced suspension-lug is on the back. The left wing is mostly lost. Solid; hand-modelled. Brown Nile silt with some mica. Remains of an overall cream-coloured slip. Red and black fired-on ceramic colour stripes on wings, tail and round neck; red traces on head.
- 550-650 (circa)
- Excavated/Findspot: Wadi Sarga, monastery
- (Africa,Egypt,Middle Egypt,Asyut,Wadi Sarga)
- Length: 6.2 centimetres
Donated: Byzantine Research and Publication Fund (BRPF). Excavated by R. Campbell Thompson and F.A. Richards in 1913-14 at Wadi Sarga, 15 miles south of Asyut. [The same as registration no. 1919,0505.316.]
Late Roman, about AD 550-650.
Comparandum: Near Petrie Museum uc448111, from Memphis.
Bibliog: Dalton 1921: 178.
Excavated 1913-1914 by Reginald Campbell Thompson on behalf of the Byzantine Research Fund.
Ancient Egypt & Sudan
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: YCA31852
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.