A terracotta dove flying with wings spread. There are remains of a pierced suspension-lug on the back. The head is lost, both wings broken. Solid; hand-modelled. Brown Nile silt with some mica. Traces of an overall cream-coloured slip. Red and black fired-on ceramic colour survives on the tail and on top of the left wing.
- 550-650 (circa)
- Excavated/Findspot: Wadi Sarga, monastery
- (Africa,Egypt,Middle Egypt,Asyut,Wadi Sarga)
- Length: 4.9 centimetres
Donated: Byzantine Research and Publication Fund (BRPF). Excavated by R. Campbell Thompson and F.A. Richards in 1913-14 at Wadi Sarga, 15 miles south of Asyut.
Late Roman, about AD 550-650.
Comparanda: Similar basic hand-modelled doves are little help either geographically or chronologically: compare, for example, Weber 1914: nos 458-60, from Hermopolis Magna, Tebtunis and Herakleopolis Magna, respectively; also a late eighth century BC example from Kawa in Nubia (Welsby 2002: 37, pl. 11).
Bibliog: Dalton 1921: 178.
Excavated 1913-1914 by Reginald Campbell Thompson on behalf of the Byzantine Research Fund.
Ancient Egypt & Sudan
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: YCA31856
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.