A terracotta dove flying with wings spread. On the back is a broken pierced suspension-lug. Parts are lost from the left wing and tail. Solid; hand-modelled. Brown Nile silt with some mica. Much of an overall cream-coloured slip survives. Black fired-on ceramic colour stripes on wings and round neck; small area of red on neck.
- 550-650 (circa)
- Excavated/Findspot: Wadi Sarga, monastery
- (Africa,Egypt,Middle Egypt,Asyut,Wadi Sarga)
- Length: 6.9 centimetres
- Width: 6.4 centimetres
Donated: Byzantine Research and Publication Fund (BRPF). Excavated by R. Campbell Thompson and F.A. Richards in 1913-14 at Wadi Sarga, 15 miles south of Asyut. [The same as registration no. 1919,0505.316.]
Late Roman, about AD 550-650.
Bibliog: Dalton 1921: 178.
Excavated 1913-1914 by Reginald Campbell Thompson on behalf of the Byzantine Research Fund.
Ancient Egypt & Sudan
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: YCA31860
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.