A terracotta figure of a man, probably but not certainly standing, blowing a cylindrical wind-instrument which he holds to his mouth with both hands. He has a pointed head and pinched-out eyes, nose and ears. Of the legs, only the upper thighs survive, projecting from below a loincloth of grass or string wrapped round and sealed with pitch or glue. There is an off-centre hole pierced in his torso at navel level, through which some strands of the grass or string pass, or possibly the stem of a plant. The top of his head is damaged. Solid; hand-modelled. Brown Nile silt with some mica. Traces of an overall cream-coloured slip. Minute signs of red fired-on ceramic colour remain on the body and under the musical instrument; pink colour below the nose.
- Excavated/Findspot: Wadi Sarga, monastery
- (Africa,Egypt,Middle Egypt,Asyut,Wadi Sarga)
- Height: 6.8 centimetres
Donated: Byzantine Research and Publication Fund. Excavated by R. Campbell Thompson and F.A. Richards in 1913-14 at Wadi Sarga, 15 miles south of Asyut.
Late Roman, about AD 550-650.
Comparandum: Near: Allard Pierson Museum, Amsterdam, no. 3597, in bronze.
Excavated 1913-1914 by Reginald Campbell Thompson on behalf of the Byzantine Research Fund.
Ancient Egypt & Sudan
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: YCA32466
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.