A terracotta dove flying with wings spread. On the back is a pierced suspension-lug. The head and tip of the left wing are lost; the tail damaged. Solid; hand-modelled. Brown Nile silt with grey core and some mica. Overall is a cream-coloured slip, overlain with dark-pink fired-on ceramic colour; black stripes on the wings and tail.
- 550-650 (circa)
- Excavated/Findspot: Wadi Sarga, monastery
- (Africa,Egypt,Middle Egypt,Asyut,Wadi Sarga)
- Length: 6.3 centimetres
- Width: 5.2 centimetres
Donated: Byzantine Research and Publication Fund (BRPF). Excavated by R. Campbell Thompson and F.A. Richards in 1913-14 at Wadi Sarga, 15 miles south of Asyut. [The same as registration no. 1919,0505.316.]
Late Roman, about AD 550-650.
Bibliog: Dalton 1921: 178.
Pencil-mark: 'GO' (?). (Bailey 2010)
Excavated 1913-1914 by Reginald Campbell Thompson on behalf of the Byzantine Research Fund.
Ancient Egypt & Sudan
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: YCA32484
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.