Parian marble. This colossal right foot was once part of a statue of several times life-size, a scale that in antiquity was only used for images of gods and emperors. It wears a sandal of an elaborate Greek type first seen in the fourth century BC. It is therefore likely that the foot belonged to the statue of a senior Olympian god, probably represented seated as a standing figure would have been more than five metres tall.
- Found/Acquired: Naples (province) (near)
- (Europe,Italy,Campania,Naples (province))
- Height: 48.26 centimetres
- Length: 88.9 centimetres
Described in register as being foot of Apollo but evidence for this not stated.Jenkins & Sloan 1996
Presented to the Museum by Sir William in 1784, the sculpture arrived too late to be included in d'Hancarville's manuscript catalogue of 1778. It is one of two sculptures from Sir William's collection drawn by Francesco Progenie, a pupil of Pietro Fabris (See Jenkins & Sloan 1996, no. 44).
On display: G1/od/nr171
Greek & Roman Antiquities
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Object reference number: GAA80104
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.