Gold cape fragment. The small rectangular piece of beaten sheet gold is part of the cape’s edge. It has an embossed rib and five holes. There are several cracks in the surface.The fragment has not been incorporated in the Mold Gold Cape.
- 1900BC-1600BC (circa)
- Excavated/Findspot: Mold, The Mold Gold Cape was found in a burial mound in a field named Bryn yr Ellyllon (the Fairies' or Goblins' Hill).
- (Europe,United Kingdom,Wales,Flintshire,Mold)
- Length: 28 millimetres
- Width: 9.61 millimetres
- Thickness: 0.13 millimetres
- Weight: 0.7 grammes
The Mold Gold Cape was found in 1833 by workmen quarrying for stone in a burial mound. At the centre of the mound there was a stone-lined grave with the crushed gold cape around the fragmentary remains of a skeleton. Strips of bronze and many amber beads were also recovered, but only one of the beads reached the British Museum (1852,0615.1).
The cape would have been unsuitable for everyday wear because it would have severely restricted upper arm movement. Instead it would have served ceremonial roles, and may have denoted religious authority.
The cape is one of the finest examples of prehistoric sheet-gold working and is quite unique in form and design. It was laboriously beaten out of a single ingot of gold, and then embellished with intense decoration of ribs and bosses to mimic multiple strings of beads amid folds of cloth. Perforations along the upper and lower edges indicate that it was once attached to a lining, perhaps of leather, which has decayed. The bronze strips may have served to strengthen the adornment further.
2013 7 Aug-14 Sep, Wrexham, Wrexham Museum, Spotlight: The Mold Gold Cape
2013 2 Jul-4 Aug, Cardiff, National Museum of Wales, Spotlight: The Mold Gold Cape
These four small fragments were purchased from Mrs D.M. Kerr, Basingstoke. In a letter dated 31st January 1972 she stated that the fragments 'belonged to my mother, Mrs Davies Edwards of Mold and were dug up on her ancestors land'. Parts of the Mold gold cape and associated artefacts from the site came to the British Museum at intervals between 1836 and 1972 though the fragments acquired after 1836 were all small. Four gold sheet fragments from the cape were presented to the Grosvenor Museum, Chester by Mr George Lowe in 1953. They were loaned to the British Museum 1966-1987. One fragment belongs to the cape though the other three appear to relate to fragments 1836.0902.2-3 which may be a distinct object.
Prehistory and Europe
If you’ve noticed a mistake or have any further information about this object, please email: email@example.com
Object reference number: BCB85794
British Museum collection data is also available in the W3C open data standard, RDF, allowing it to join and relate to a growing body of linked data published by organisations around the world.
The Museum makes its collection database available to be used by scholars around the world. Donations will help support curatorial, documentation and digitisation projects.